Why Can Space Heaters Be Dangerous?
It’s getting chilly in New Orleans, but you are not quite ready to turn the heat on. Space heaters can help break the chill in your home or office, but they can be rather dangerous. On Thanksgiving morning a wheelchair- bound woman died in her New Orleans home in a fire. Authorities believe a space heater caused the home to catch on fire.
What You Need To Know About Space Heaters
The New Orleans Fire Department wants to remind you of important safety tips when using electric and other space heaters.
Use space heaters only in well ventilated rooms. Place heaters where they will not be knocked over easily. Do not use space heaters to dry clothing or other items. Keep heaters at a safe distance from curtains, furniture and all combustibles. Don’t leave children alone with space heaters on. An adult should always be present when a space heater is in use.
Always plug electric space heaters directly into the wall socket and not into extension cords. Check the cords on electric space heaters before using. If the cord is frayed or splitting, discord the heater or throw the heater away. Any repairs to heaters should only be performed by a qualified licensed appliance repair person. Make sure to keep anything that may burn at least 3 feet away from the space heater. Never allow children to play with, or around, the heater. Never place anything inside the grill on the front of the heater. Always unplug space heaters when they’re not being used.
For more information visit: https://www.nola.gov/nofd/fire-safety-tips/cold-weather-safety/