Indoor Air Quality

[tabset tab1=”Living Room” tab2=”Bathroom” tab3=”Bedroom” tab4=”Kitchen”][tab]

livingroomA living room is usually a well-used area of a home and may harbor indoor pollutants. It is important to ventilate properly, keep secondhand smoke outside of the house, and vacuum and dust regularly.

Pet Dander and Hair

Pets can trigger allergy and asthma attacks due to dander and hair. Keep them out of the sleeping areas, and away from upholstered furniture, carpets, and stuffed toys. Vacuum and clean carpets, rugs, and furniture often.

Secondhand Smoke

Secondhand smoke from cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products can trigger asthma and other respiratory illnesses especially in children. To help protect children from secondhand smoke, do not smoke or allow others to smoke inside your home or car.

Learn More

Carbon Monoxide

Fireplaces and leaking chimneys are sources of carbon monoxide. Ventilate rooms that have fireplaces, make certain the flue damper is operational and fully open when in use, and ensure the chimney is properly sealed.

Learn More

[/fusion_old_tab][tab]

bathroomA bathroom is often the dampest area of a home. It is important to ventilate a bathroom during use and dry damp surfaces.

Mold

Bathrooms are a common source of mold. Humidity from showers can cause moisture problems, which will lead to mold growth. Mold can cause allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory ailments. Installing and using a ventilation fan will help to control moisture and inhibit mold growth.

Learn More

[/fusion_old_tab][tab]

bedroomA bedroom often contains materials that collect dust. It is important to clean bedding and other fabrics, and vacuum regularly.

Dust

Dust mites can trigger allergy and asthma attacks. Dust mites are everywhere especially on pillows, blankets, carpets, upholstered furniture, and stuffed toys Dust and vacuum your home regularly, wash bedding, and use allergen-proof mattress and pillow covers.

Learn More

[/fusion_old_tab][tab]

kitchenA Kitchen has appliances that may leak gases, and often contain chemicals for cleaning or removing pests. It is important to properly maintain and ventilate appliances, and safely store chemicals.

Pesticides

Pesticides, used to rid homes of rodents, termites, insects, and other pests, can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat; damage the central nervous system and kidneys; and increase the risk of cancer. Don’t leave food out, and if you must use pesticides, ventilate during and after use and follow directions to limit exposure. Use non-chemical methods of pest control when possible.

Learn More

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)

Common household cleaners, often placed under the kitchen sink, release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), when used and stored. Store household products that contain chemicals according to manufacturers’ instructions and keep all products away from children. Consider purchasing cleaners without VOCs.

Learn More

Carbon Monoxide

To help prevent carbon monoxide exposure, make sure appliances such as gas stoves vent to the outside whenever possible and that all appliances are properly installed, used, and maintained.

Learn More

[/fusion_old_tab][/tabset]